Accepting a Job Offer
- Congratulations on getting the new job! Before you start popping the Champagne and celebrating, there are a few steps you need to take to ensure everything is confirmed.
- Always ask how many days you have to make your decision. Often there is at least a 24-hour period in which to consider an offer.
- Ask for a copy of the offer and ensure base salary and all benefits including superannuation are clearly laid out before you contemplate handing in your notice. Ask any follow up questions you may have and feel confident in asking about anything you are uncertain of before accepting. Remember to confirm your start date and have this written on the offer.
- If there are any issues regarding the salary, now is the time to negotiate so make sure you are happy with what is on offer.
- Ensure the core hours for the role are set out clearly and what the expectations are around overtime so as not to cause any confusion later.
- Know exactly who you will be reporting to.
- Get the offer or any changes in writing prior to accepting.
- Confirm the starting date and have this confirmed in writing.
- Once you have confirmation of the new role in writing and you are happy with the offer, give notice to your current employer.
- Read your letter of offer or contract from your current employer so you know exactly how much notice you are required to give.
How to cope if you don't get the job
- No one likes being rejected and this is what it can feel like if you don't get the job you want. Not only can this affect your confidence but make you question what you ''did wrong''.
- It is important that you look at this another way and look at the bigger picture; rejection, although not nice can sometimes be a blessing and a chance for you to use the experience to build on your strengths, address any issues and move on to finding a role that is perhaps better suited.
- The interview process should be seen as a learning experience; we learn from our experiences in life and that is especially true of interviews.
- If you believe you did the best you possibly could, displayed all the knowledge for the role and possessed all the relevant skills, you can always get in touch with the company to gain some constructive feedback.
- Sometimes however, it can be as simple as you not being the right cultural fit or, although you 'ticked all the boxes' for them, along came another candidate who ticked those same boxes but also had industry experience, more longevity in a similar role, less job changes or experience with a software package the employer is considering introducing.
- Don't take it personally: there could be hundreds of reasons why you didn't get the job and most are totally out of your control.
- Be professional and don't let your emotions take over - you never know what the future holds. The person they offer the role to may not accept it or not work out for whatever reason, or the company expands and, if you handled yourself well, they are more likely to come back to you with an offer at a later date or recommend you to someone else.
Based on 41 reviews
04:58 03 Jun 20
Very happy with Jenelle and her professional manner. Staff at PP are excellent. Great service.
22:41 01 Jun 20
I have been using Peninsula Personnel for different projects over a number of years now and can highly recommend them.... Lisa is always very responsive and highly professional. They're great at matching the skills of their temp staff for the job at hand and always recommend great candidates for us. Some of which have even stayed on and become permanent staff.read more
11:57 22 May 20
Peninsula Personnel found me my dream job. I’ve chalked up 12 months at HART now and couldn’t be happier. They... understood me and my skills immediately and it didn’t take long to have me settled in my job. The PP team is there to support and encourage me when ever I need and I often receive kind, thoughtful messages and seasonal gifts. I am so grateful for the PP team and all they do... so professional and great at what they do - find you a dream job with that perfect fit.read more
11:59 07 May 20
Six months ago, the Team at Peninsula Personnel found me a great position with a dynamic and passionate business... located on the Northern Beaches. They took the time to understand my strengths and aspirations and were able to find a full time role that is a great fit for me. Furthermore, they were willing to go the extra mile for me to find this position when a previous placement did not work out, which I am very grateful for. Their positive, down-to-earth and friendly attitude, professional focus and commitment to keeping it local are second to none. Thanks for my wonderful new job. Keep up the good work. Brigitteread more
05:17 30 Apr 20
Have had very helpful and professional experience with PP. Always very informed and very well connected on the north... side of the bridge. Highly recommended.read more
23:38 13 Mar 20
Amanda and the team were fantastic! They helped me find the right job quickly with a wonderful local company. I... couldn’t be happier. Thank you!read more
03:49 07 Feb 20
Lisa, Margaret and the team at Peninsula Personnel have been such a delight to work with and are so quick to move on... the roles they have available. Within the week of walking into peninsula personnel I had been set up with my first assignment to start the following Monday. Can’t fault them in their approach, especially over the Christmas period. It’s unlucky that we were not able to secure a role in my current field but that wasn’t without them trying. Thank you again to the team, I would highly recommend them (and already have done) to anyone on the job search whether temp or permanent and I would be back with them if needed in an instant.read more
01:54 22 Jan 20
I had the most wonderful experience dealing with the friendly ladies at Peninsula Personnel. Deciding to change careers... was a big step for me but Amanda and Margaret made me feel so comfortable throughout the whole process. I trusted their expert opinion with every step and it definitely paid off for me! Highly recommend choosing Peninsula Personnel for any career change you are thinking of making.read more
06:57 09 Jan 20
Very mixed feelings about our experience with this agency, I cannot recommend Peninsula Personnel to employers, they... are clearly an employment agency for employees and their own benefits only. Employees looking for work, this is a great agency for you, including the lovely packaged gift you get once you are placed in your new role ;) We certainly will not use them again and are probably the first client to even bother leaving a such a review for others to know what to expect.read more
04:57 12 Dec 19
Peninsula made me getting a job easy and an all around great experience. I told them I was really keen on a specific... position. Unfortunately, a didn’t meet a language requirement and they were quickly looking for the next. The job requirements came back amended from the first and Amanda quickly called me to get an interview! I was so excited and I think they may have been more excited for me. They were endearing and genuinely cared about finding me a job I was excited about and not just placing me somewhere for their benefit. They also sent me a very sweet Christmas gift to celebrate. Would absolutely recommend the whole team!read more
00:18 28 Nov 19
Peninsula Personnel were excellent. Great service and quick turn around. Found the right candidate. Much more... effective than conducting recruitment oursleves.read more
10:03 19 Nov 19
very professional and efficient. In less than a week the find me the right role for me I couldn't be more happier with... their service and the role. Thanks you Amanda, Margaret and the rest of the PP team.read more
03:42 14 Nov 19
Such a wonderful experience working with the lovely staff at Peninsula Personnel. Amanda went above and beyond to help... find permanent employment for me and I couldn't be happier with the results. Thank you PP, I will definitely be recommending you to all!!read more
06:02 12 Nov 19
“My experience of working with Lisa was exceptional. From initial contact until she successfully placed me into a... suitable role, she consistently supported me in my application. Lisa went above and beyond to ensure I was prepared and even gave me some great tips to improve my resume. Lisa approachable and offers a professional service. Highly recommended.”read more
02:19 24 Oct 19
Thank you to Lisa and the team. You have always managed to find for me interesting long/short term assignments... efficiently. This is despite my request for jobs with parking facilities or close to convenient public transport. Certainly a big thumbs up. ?read more
08:56 18 Oct 19
I came into Australia with a work permit, two days after applying for my core relevant jobs, within a day get a phone... call from Lisa about my interest to apply for the role, then get the interview date from PP. On the same day, attend both Interviews with PP and their clients successfully. After clear my cross-checks got a confirmation mail for ready to join. Thanks to everyone in Peninsula personnelread more
20:26 16 Oct 19
Very lovely staff and a highly professional service. They are the winner and finalist for multiple local business... awards servicing the local area as well as greater Sydney. Well done peninsula personnel.read more
08:06 10 Sep 19
Exceptional service Thanks to Lisa and her amazing team I have found my first job in Australia. Thank you for your... exceptional attitude. I have never seen such a professional service before. ? recommend!read more
Oxley Home Care
04:30 10 Sep 19
Peninsula Personnel are the number one choice for us when recruiting office staff. The professional approach from the... owner Lisa and through to all the staff, permanent placement and temporary hire, they have looked after us well. Thank youread more
09:34 09 Jul 19
I highly recommend Peninsula Personnel, my experience with them has been extremely professional and successful. The... team is engaging, welcoming and nurturing. A special thanks to Lisa and Ally for their caring and encouraging guidance during my journey to finding my new role.read more
03:26 05 Jul 19
Allie provided the best service she possibly could. She was very professional. Communication with her was super easy.... She motivated me to complete all tests ad believed I me. I got a new job within 3 days . Highly recommend peninsula Personal Jobs.read more
00:58 13 Jun 19
I couldn't be happier about my decision to turn to Peninsula Personnel. Whole interviewing/employment process was... quick, efficient and stress-free. Hannah found the best fitting position for my skills set, and overall was extremely proactive, professional and responsive consultant. I cannot express my thanks enough for matching me with my current employer. I have no hesitation in recommending Peninsula Personnel for the highly professional service.read more
‘I would like to thank your wonderful team for keeping me up to date with roles and always being so friendly and professional … you are a wealth of information and support. I have recommended Peninsula Personnel to some friends as well as businesses that have requested assistance …’ Fiona, candidate
‘Peninsula Personnel offered me the best alternative to full time work. As a temp I was able to work for many different companies and experience a variety of workplace environments without being tied down. Placement was always local and the work interesting. With the support of a friendly and helpful team, I developed various office skills and have made many friends along the way. My experience with Peninsula Personnel has been of the highest quality and I would recommend anyone interested… Read more
‘I must thank you all at Peninsula Personnel for making my work experience so rewarding, and placing me in the most fabulous companies! Your clients are a testament to you company Lisa, and I cannot rave higher about PP in DY!!!’ Loretta, candidate‘
‘I am infinitely grateful to you for giving me the opportunity and your support.’ Sebastian, candidate
‘Just want to thank you for invaluable help with my resume! I have had 2 interviews and been offered both! I’m sure the resume and cover letter got me the interviews so THANKYOU!!’ Robyn, candidate
‘You all do a wonderful job and your temp staff all think so highly of the service you provide. Well done girls. I’ll be nominating you for the best business awards next year. I really appreciate the support & friendship you all provide. You are all so lovely to work for.’ Kerrie, candidate
‘What an inspiration you are Lisa!! So driven, so successful, so switched on!! Well done you! Thank you doesn’t seem to cut it. But thank you so much for everything. For the first time in my life, I feel I am in such capable hands.’ Jane, candidate ’
‘When I knew I was going to be returning to Sydney I contacted PP and was working almost before I had unpacked my suitcases. The PP team somehow always managed to find positions that suited me perfectly, including an ideal permanent position once I had decided to settle. I have found Lisa and Leigh extremely friendly, always professional and unbelievably efficient. For example, when my situation changed recently and I required temporary assignments again, I forwarded my updated CV to Lisa… Read more
‘I will always refer Peninsula Personnel when I get the opportunity. I have to admit I have always had a fairly negative opinion of recruitment agencies from bad past experiences so it was nice to finally have a good experience with one!’ Jane, candidate
‘I just want to say a BIG thank you to all of you. You went above and beyond trying to find me work and I am so grateful! I was really struggling to find work and your resume and interview tips really helped with my applications and interviews. Peninsula Personnel is truly the best recruitment company I have ever been with.’ One very happily employed Haylee, candidate