Accepting a Job Offer
- Congratulations on getting the new job! Before you start popping the Champagne and celebrating, there are a few steps you need to take to ensure everything is confirmed.
- Always ask how many days you have to make your decision. Often there is at least a 24-hour period in which to consider an offer.
- Ask for a copy of the offer and ensure base salary and all benefits including superannuation are clearly laid out before you contemplate handing in your notice. Ask any follow up questions you may have and feel confident in asking about anything you are uncertain of before accepting. Remember to confirm your start date and have this written on the offer.
- If there are any issues regarding the salary, now is the time to negotiate so make sure you are happy with what is on offer.
- Ensure the core hours for the role are set out clearly and what the expectations are around overtime so as not to cause any confusion later.
- Know exactly who you will be reporting to.
- Get the offer or any changes in writing prior to accepting.
- Confirm the starting date and have this confirmed in writing.
- Once you have confirmation of the new role in writing and you are happy with the offer, give notice to your current employer.
- Read your letter of offer or contract from your current employer so you know exactly how much notice you are required to give.
How to cope if you don't get the job
- No one likes being rejected and this is what it can feel like if you don't get the job you want. Not only can this affect your confidence but make you question what you ''did wrong''.
- It is important that you look at this another way and look at the bigger picture; rejection, although not nice can sometimes be a blessing and a chance for you to use the experience to build on your strengths, address any issues and move on to finding a role that is perhaps better suited.
- The interview process should be seen as a learning experience; we learn from our experiences in life and that is especially true of interviews.
- If you believe you did the best you possibly could, displayed all the knowledge for the role and possessed all the relevant skills, you can always get in touch with the company to gain some constructive feedback.
- Sometimes however, it can be as simple as you not being the right cultural fit or, although you 'ticked all the boxes' for them, along came another candidate who ticked those same boxes but also had industry experience, more longevity in a similar role, less job changes or experience with a software package the employer is considering introducing.
- Don't take it personally: there could be hundreds of reasons why you didn't get the job and most are totally out of your control.
- Be professional and don't let your emotions take over - you never know what the future holds. The person they offer the role to may not accept it or not work out for whatever reason, or the company expands and, if you handled yourself well, they are more likely to come back to you with an offer at a later date or recommend you to someone else.
Based on 31 reviews
03:49 07 Feb 20
Lisa, Margaret and the team at Peninsula Personnel have been such a delight to work with and are so quick to move on... the roles they have available. Within the week of walking into peninsula personnel I had been set up with my first assignment to start the following Monday. Can’t fault them in their approach, especially over the Christmas period. It’s unlucky that we were not able to secure a role in my current field but that wasn’t without them trying. Thank you again to the team, I would highly recommend them (and already have done) to anyone on the job search whether temp or permanent and I would be back with them if needed in an instant.read more
01:54 22 Jan 20
I had the most wonderful experience dealing with the friendly ladies at Peninsula Personnel. Deciding to change careers... was a big step for me but Amanda and Margaret made me feel so comfortable throughout the whole process. I trusted their expert opinion with every step and it definitely paid off for me! Highly recommend choosing Peninsula Personnel for any career change you are thinking of making.read more
06:57 09 Jan 20
Very mixed feelings about our experience with this agency, I cannot recommend Peninsula Personnel to employers, they... are clearly an employment agency for employees and their own benefits only. Employees looking for work, this is a great agency for you, including the lovely packaged gift you get once you are placed in your new role ;) We certainly will not use them again and are probably the first client to even bother leaving a such a review for others to know what to expect.read more
04:57 12 Dec 19
Peninsula made me getting a job easy and an all around great experience. I told them I was really keen on a specific... position. Unfortunately, a didn’t meet a language requirement and they were quickly looking for the next. The job requirements came back amended from the first and Amanda quickly called me to get an interview! I was so excited and I think they may have been more excited for me. They were endearing and genuinely cared about finding me a job I was excited about and not just placing me somewhere for their benefit. They also sent me a very sweet Christmas gift to celebrate. Would absolutely recommend the whole team!read more
00:18 28 Nov 19
Peninsula Personnel were excellent. Great service and quick turn around. Found the right candidate. Much more... effective than conducting recruitment oursleves.read more
10:03 19 Nov 19
very professional and efficient. In less than a week the find me the right role for me I couldn't be more happier with... their service and the role. Thanks you Amanda, Margaret and the rest of the PP team.read more
03:42 14 Nov 19
Such a wonderful experience working with the lovely staff at Peninsula Personnel. Amanda went above and beyond to help... find permanent employment for me and I couldn't be happier with the results. Thank you PP, I will definitely be recommending you to all!!read more
06:02 12 Nov 19
“My experience of working with Lisa was exceptional. From initial contact until she successfully placed me into a... suitable role, she consistently supported me in my application. Lisa went above and beyond to ensure I was prepared and even gave me some great tips to improve my resume. Lisa approachable and offers a professional service. Highly recommended.”read more
02:19 24 Oct 19
Thank you to Lisa and the team. You have always managed to find for me interesting long/short term assignments... efficiently. This is despite my request for jobs with parking facilities or close to convenient public transport. Certainly a big thumbs up. 👍read more
08:56 18 Oct 19
I came into Australia with a work permit, two days after applying for my core relevant jobs, within a day get a phone... call from Lisa about my interest to apply for the role, then get the interview date from PP. On the same day, attend both Interviews with PP and their clients successfully. After clear my cross-checks got a confirmation mail for ready to join. Thanks to everyone in Peninsula personnelread more
20:26 16 Oct 19
Very lovely staff and a highly professional service. They are the winner and finalist for multiple local business... awards servicing the local area as well as greater Sydney. Well done peninsula personnel.read more
08:06 10 Sep 19
Exceptional service Thanks to Lisa and her amazing team I have found my first job in Australia. Thank you for your... exceptional attitude. I have never seen such a professional service before. 💯 recommend!read more
Oxley Home Care
04:30 10 Sep 19
Peninsula Personnel are the number one choice for us when recruiting office staff. The professional approach from the... owner Lisa and through to all the staff, permanent placement and temporary hire, they have looked after us well. Thank youread more
09:34 09 Jul 19
I highly recommend Peninsula Personnel, my experience with them has been extremely professional and successful. The... team is engaging, welcoming and nurturing. A special thanks to Lisa and Ally for their caring and encouraging guidance during my journey to finding my new role.read more
03:26 05 Jul 19
Allie provided the best service she possibly could. She was very professional. Communication with her was super easy.... She motivated me to complete all tests ad believed I me. I got a new job within 3 days . Highly recommend peninsula Personal Jobs.read more
00:58 13 Jun 19
I couldn't be happier about my decision to turn to Peninsula Personnel. Whole interviewing/employment process was... quick, efficient and stress-free. Hannah found the best fitting position for my skills set, and overall was extremely proactive, professional and responsive consultant. I cannot express my thanks enough for matching me with my current employer. I have no hesitation in recommending Peninsula Personnel for the highly professional service.read more
‘I would really like to thank you for all your support over the past five years and for providing such dedicated and professional service. You are the only agency I know of that treats the candidate and the client with equal importance and respect. Thank you for recognising and acknowledging my contribution. I am very grateful to you for ‘keeping me off the streets’ and placing me in such rewarding roles.’ Sharon, candidate
‘Thank you for all your help, advice and everything that you did for me to help me achieve this role. I am forever grateful to you all. You are all a lovely, helpful group of people.’ Christine, candidate
‘Thank you to you and your team for taking me on and having confidence in me. I really do appreciate the efforts you have gone to, not only for me but for all your temps. I’m so glad that I was given your name a year ago as someone who I could turn to. I know that Jenny Lawson has the ultimate respect for you and the success of your business.’ Caroline, candidate
‘Without Peninsula Personnel I wouldn’t be where I am today – and I thank you so much.’ Loretta, candidate
‘I must thank you all at Peninsula Personnel for making my work experience so rewarding, and placing me in the most fabulous companies! Your clients are a testament to you company Lisa, and I cannot rave higher about PP in DY!!!’ Loretta, candidate‘
‘I have been so blessed to work for your agency, which has truly taken care of myself … Love your work GO PP!!’ Elaine, candidate
‘I wish every consultant was as lovely and engaging as you!’ Lois, candidate
‘Peninsula Personnel and ITS have a very successful working relationship, spanning over six years. PP always provides a prompt, efficient and cost effective service resulting in a number of excellent quality temporary staff being placed with us. PP have an excellent understanding of what we do, the culture of our company and who can do the job for us. Lisa and her team are straight forward, dedicated and act quickly to our requests. No matter who picks up the phone you know you are going to get …
‘I LOVE working with Peninsula Personnel, I have had nothing but fantastic assignments and I feel like I have an incredible rapport with Lisa and Leigh. They all go out of their way to make you feel appreciated. I always look forward to the Agency get togethers and PP always goes out of their way to make the temps feel special. Well done ladies.’ Jacqui, candidate
‘Just want to thank you for invaluable help with my resume! I have had 2 interviews and been offered both! I’m sure the resume and cover letter got me the interviews so THANKYOU!!’ Robyn, candidate