The key to interviewing success is being prepared, including having some planned responses to questions. Anticipating the types of questions you might be asked can help you prepare and practice your answers. Behavioural questions address how you have reacted to situations in the past and therefore give the interviewer an idea of how you would handle that same situation in the future. When answering behavioural questions, provide detailed and specific answers with good examples divided into the following three parts:
Tell the interviewer about the situation and what you were trying to achieve.
Explain what you did to achieve your result.
Briefly describe the final outcome.
Common Examples of Behavioural Interview Questions
- Describe a stressful situation that you faced in which you demonstrated your coping skills.
- Give me an example of a goal you set, and were able to achieve it?
- Please discuss an important written document you were required to complete.
- Provide an example of when attention to detail was vital and how you completed the task accurately.
- Tell me about a time you had too many things to do and you needed to prioritise your tasks.
- What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example of when you had to use this strategy.
- Give me an example of when you have shown initiative and taken the lead.
- Give me an example of task which required you use your fact-finding skills to solve a problem.
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. What was the outcome?
- Describe a situation in which you exceeded customer expectations.
- Give me an example of when you have had to work in a team. What benefit did you bring to the team?
- Provide an example of one of your achievements in the workplace.
- Provide an example of a workplace suggestion you have made. Was it implemented and what were the outcomes?
Common Examples of Standard Interview Questions
- Tell me about your current or most recent job?
- What did you like best about this position?
- What did you least like about this position?
- What do you highlight as your strengths?
- What do you consider to be your weaknesses?
- What do you know about our company?
- Are you prepared to undergo any further studies to help you in this role?
- Is this the type of role you are looking for? Why?
- What can you bring to this role/company?
- How do you handle pressure in your working environment?
- Where do you see yourself in five years' time?
- Why do you think we should employ you?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Questions YOU could ask
- What is the working culture like at your company?
- What type of person are you looking for?
- What are possible career progressions?
- Do you support ongoing training and development?
- Ask a few more detailed questions about the role itself, ie. Is this a new position? What are the day-to-day responsibilities?
- What are your company's biggest challenges? Who is your major competitor?
- How long has the current person been in this role? Are they available to cross train?
- Who does this position report to?
- How many people work for the company and/or work in this department?
- Ask the interviewer what they like about working for the company.
- Ask when they will be making a decision and when you should expect to hear back from them.
- If you are chosen to progress further, ask what the next steps involved are, ie. a second interview, a medical check, skills testing, and/or psychometric testing.
‘Peninsula Personnel offered me the best alternative to full time work. As a temp I was able to work for many different companies and experience a variety of workplace environments without being tied down. Placement was always local and the work interesting. With the support of a friendly and helpful team, I developed various office skills and have made many friends along the way. My experience with Peninsula Personnel has been of the highest quality and I would recommend anyone interested…
‘I would like to thank you for your time, persistence and help with all my temporary work and now my new job with Glenda, Alex and Elders … Also thank you for the lovely welcome to the job package. It was so very touching to have received that during the first week. Your company has always done an exceptional job at making us employees feel a part of your team.’ Marla, candidate
‘If we have short-term employment opportunities, we would use your services …very happy. We have found your temps to be friendly, polite and professional in their manner, always ready to help staff and co-workers above and beyond the call of duty … a wonderful reflection on your business.’ HR, Fossil
‘Roche Products Pty Ltd have been associated with Peninsula Personnel since its inception in March 1995 and are extremely satisfied with the service we have received during this time. Their customer service is friendly and professional, always providing us with quality staff tailored to our requirements. We would not hesitate to recommend their services to other clients and in fact have had a preferred supplier agreement in place with them for a number of years now.’ HR & Sourcing, Roche Produc…
‘I must thank you all at Peninsula Personnel for making my work experience so rewarding, and placing me in the most fabulous companies! Your clients are a testament to you company Lisa, and I cannot rave higher about PP in DY!!!’ Loretta, candidate‘
‘Peninsula Personnel has been working with the Cerebral Palsy Alliance since its inception in 1995. PP is like an extension of our recruitment team as they always take the time to understand our needs and leave no stone unturned to exceed our expectations. The owner and founder of PP, Lisa Bousfield, has built a team of professional and customer focussed recruiters who embrace Lisa’s positive ‘can do’ attitude and desire to deliver only the best candidates to their customers. I recom…
‘I am infinitely grateful to you for giving me the opportunity and your support.’ Sebastian, candidate
‘PP is the best agency on the Northern Beaches – Sydney even!’ Vanessa, candidate
‘Fujifilm are proud to have had a close working relationship with Peninsula Personnel as a preferred supplier of both contract (temporary) and permanent employees for more than 18 years. They have worked extremely hard on our behalf to ensure the quality of candidates meet all of our needs and their systems for interviewing, testing and induction ensure that candidates arrive with a full understanding of the standards required of the position they have been recommended for.’ Human Resources, Fu…
‘I really appreciate everything you and all the gorgeous ladies at PP have done to help me and just how wonderful you have been to deal with. You have been so generous, thoughtful and caring – well beyond what anyone would expect from a recruitment and temping agency. You go the extra mile and build personal relationships, not just professional ones and that’s where PP really stands head and shoulders ahead of the rest.’ Rachel, candidate