The key to interviewing success is being prepared, including having some planned responses to questions. Anticipating the types of questions you might be asked can help you prepare and practice your answers. Behavioural questions address how you have reacted to situations in the past and therefore give the interviewer an idea of how you would handle that same situation in the future. When answering behavioural questions, provide detailed and specific answers with good examples divided into the following three parts:
Tell the interviewer about the situation and what you were trying to achieve.
Explain what you did to achieve your result.
Briefly describe the final outcome.
Common Examples of Behavioural Interview Questions
- Describe a stressful situation that you faced in which you demonstrated your coping skills.
- Give me an example of a goal you set, and were able to achieve it?
- Please discuss an important written document you were required to complete.
- Provide an example of when attention to detail was vital and how you completed the task accurately.
- Tell me about a time you had too many things to do and you needed to prioritise your tasks.
- What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example of when you had to use this strategy.
- Give me an example of when you have shown initiative and taken the lead.
- Give me an example of task which required you use your fact-finding skills to solve a problem.
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. What was the outcome?
- Describe a situation in which you exceeded customer expectations.
- Give me an example of when you have had to work in a team. What benefit did you bring to the team?
- Provide an example of one of your achievements in the workplace.
- Provide an example of a workplace suggestion you have made. Was it implemented and what were the outcomes?
Common Examples of Standard Interview Questions
- Tell me about your current or most recent job?
- What did you like best about this position?
- What did you least like about this position?
- What do you highlight as your strengths?
- What do you consider to be your weaknesses?
- What do you know about our company?
- Are you prepared to undergo any further studies to help you in this role?
- Is this the type of role you are looking for? Why?
- What can you bring to this role/company?
- How do you handle pressure in your working environment?
- Where do you see yourself in five years' time?
- Why do you think we should employ you?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Questions YOU could ask
- What is the working culture like at your company?
- What type of person are you looking for?
- What are possible career progressions?
- Do you support ongoing training and development?
- Ask a few more detailed questions about the role itself, ie. Is this a new position? What are the day-to-day responsibilities?
- What are your company's biggest challenges? Who is your major competitor?
- How long has the current person been in this role? Are they available to cross train?
- Who does this position report to?
- How many people work for the company and/or work in this department?
- Ask the interviewer what they like about working for the company.
- Ask when they will be making a decision and when you should expect to hear back from them.
- If you are chosen to progress further, ask what the next steps involved are, ie. a second interview, a medical check, skills testing, and/or psychometric testing.
‘I wish every consultant was as lovely and engaging as you!’ Lois, candidate
‘Prior to raising my family I worked fairly consistently with PP over many years and can’t remember a time when I was concerned about not being able to work. Years later I contacted the girls … Five minutes later I had a casual position ready to start the next day. Not only have the girls kept me in constant work in varied and interesting positions but they have been great friends to me on a personal level – always supportive and understanding. I have never registered with another agen… Read more
‘PP is the best agency on the Northern Beaches – Sydney even!’ Vanessa, candidate
‘Roche Products Pty Ltd have been associated with Peninsula Personnel since its inception in March 1995 and are extremely satisfied with the service we have received during this time. Their customer service is friendly and professional, always providing us with quality staff tailored to our requirements. We would not hesitate to recommend their services to other clients and in fact have had a preferred supplier agreement in place with them for a number of years now.’ HR & Sourcing, Roche Produc… Read more
‘Right from the start, and unlike so many other agencies, the team has done their upmost to make me feel welcome, appreciated, informed and most importantly– they have promptly placed me in enjoyable assignments! I first registered my interest online and was swiftly contacted by Lisa with regards to popping into the office for an informal chat and some standard skills testing – after this it was only a matter of days before I found myself in my first role! Being new to the country I ha… Read more
‘Without Peninsula Personnel I wouldn’t be where I am today – and I thank you so much.’ Loretta, candidate
‘I would really like to thank you for all your support over the past five years and for providing such dedicated and professional service. You are the only agency I know of that treats the candidate and the client with equal importance and respect. Thank you for recognising and acknowledging my contribution. I am very grateful to you for ‘keeping me off the streets’ and placing me in such rewarding roles.’ Sharon, candidate
‘I just want to say a BIG thank you to all of you. You went above and beyond trying to find me work and I am so grateful! I was really struggling to find work and your resume and interview tips really helped with my applications and interviews. Peninsula Personnel is truly the best recruitment company I have ever been with.’ One very happily employed Haylee, candidate
‘I will always refer Peninsula Personnel when I get the opportunity. I have to admit I have always had a fairly negative opinion of recruitment agencies from bad past experiences so it was nice to finally have a good experience with one!’ Jane, candidate
‘Peninsula Personnel and ITS have a very successful working relationship, spanning over six years. PP always provides a prompt, efficient and cost effective service resulting in a number of excellent quality temporary staff being placed with us. PP have an excellent understanding of what we do, the culture of our company and who can do the job for us. Lisa and her team are straight forward, dedicated and act quickly to our requests. No matter who picks up the phone you know you are going to get … Read more