The key to interviewing success is being prepared, including having some planned responses to questions. Anticipating the types of questions you might be asked can help you prepare and practice your answers. Behavioural questions address how you have reacted to situations in the past and therefore give the interviewer an idea of how you would handle that same situation in the future. When answering behavioural questions, provide detailed and specific answers with good examples divided into the following three parts:
Tell the interviewer about the situation and what you were trying to achieve.
Explain what you did to achieve your result.
Briefly describe the final outcome.
Common Examples of Behavioural Interview Questions
- Describe a stressful situation that you faced in which you demonstrated your coping skills.
- Give me an example of a goal you set, and were able to achieve it?
- Please discuss an important written document you were required to complete.
- Provide an example of when attention to detail was vital and how you completed the task accurately.
- Tell me about a time you had too many things to do and you needed to prioritise your tasks.
- What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example of when you had to use this strategy.
- Give me an example of when you have shown initiative and taken the lead.
- Give me an example of task which required you use your fact-finding skills to solve a problem.
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. What was the outcome?
- Describe a situation in which you exceeded customer expectations.
- Give me an example of when you have had to work in a team. What benefit did you bring to the team?
- Provide an example of one of your achievements in the workplace.
- Provide an example of a workplace suggestion you have made. Was it implemented and what were the outcomes?
Common Examples of Standard Interview Questions
- Tell me about your current or most recent job?
- What did you like best about this position?
- What did you least like about this position?
- What do you highlight as your strengths?
- What do you consider to be your weaknesses?
- What do you know about our company?
- Are you prepared to undergo any further studies to help you in this role?
- Is this the type of role you are looking for? Why?
- What can you bring to this role/company?
- How do you handle pressure in your working environment?
- Where do you see yourself in five years' time?
- Why do you think we should employ you?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Questions YOU could ask
- What is the working culture like at your company?
- What type of person are you looking for?
- What are possible career progressions?
- Do you support ongoing training and development?
- Ask a few more detailed questions about the role itself, ie. Is this a new position? What are the day-to-day responsibilities?
- What are your company's biggest challenges? Who is your major competitor?
- How long has the current person been in this role? Are they available to cross train?
- Who does this position report to?
- How many people work for the company and/or work in this department?
- Ask the interviewer what they like about working for the company.
- Ask when they will be making a decision and when you should expect to hear back from them.
- If you are chosen to progress further, ask what the next steps involved are, ie. a second interview, a medical check, skills testing, and/or psychometric testing.
‘I would like to thank your wonderful team for keeping me up to date with roles and always being so friendly and professional … you are a wealth of information and support. I have recommended Peninsula Personnel to some friends as well as businesses that have requested assistance …’ Fiona, candidate
‘Peninsula Personnel offered me the best alternative to full time work. As a temp I was able to work for many different companies and experience a variety of workplace environments without being tied down. Placement was always local and the work interesting. With the support of a friendly and helpful team, I developed various office skills and have made many friends along the way. My experience with Peninsula Personnel has been of the highest quality and I would recommend anyone interested… Read more
‘I must thank you all at Peninsula Personnel for making my work experience so rewarding, and placing me in the most fabulous companies! Your clients are a testament to you company Lisa, and I cannot rave higher about PP in DY!!!’ Loretta, candidate‘
‘I am infinitely grateful to you for giving me the opportunity and your support.’ Sebastian, candidate
‘Just want to thank you for invaluable help with my resume! I have had 2 interviews and been offered both! I’m sure the resume and cover letter got me the interviews so THANKYOU!!’ Robyn, candidate
‘You all do a wonderful job and your temp staff all think so highly of the service you provide. Well done girls. I’ll be nominating you for the best business awards next year. I really appreciate the support & friendship you all provide. You are all so lovely to work for.’ Kerrie, candidate
‘What an inspiration you are Lisa!! So driven, so successful, so switched on!! Well done you! Thank you doesn’t seem to cut it. But thank you so much for everything. For the first time in my life, I feel I am in such capable hands.’ Jane, candidate ’
‘When I knew I was going to be returning to Sydney I contacted PP and was working almost before I had unpacked my suitcases. The PP team somehow always managed to find positions that suited me perfectly, including an ideal permanent position once I had decided to settle. I have found Lisa and Leigh extremely friendly, always professional and unbelievably efficient. For example, when my situation changed recently and I required temporary assignments again, I forwarded my updated CV to Lisa… Read more
‘I will always refer Peninsula Personnel when I get the opportunity. I have to admit I have always had a fairly negative opinion of recruitment agencies from bad past experiences so it was nice to finally have a good experience with one!’ Jane, candidate
‘I just want to say a BIG thank you to all of you. You went above and beyond trying to find me work and I am so grateful! I was really struggling to find work and your resume and interview tips really helped with my applications and interviews. Peninsula Personnel is truly the best recruitment company I have ever been with.’ One very happily employed Haylee, candidate